Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A bit more about Dorm Room Designs

For those who know me, this was a natural transition project.  With my experience with organization and detail, it seemed like a perfect idea (or a Wilder Idea) to approach one of the finest schools in Colorado with the idea of helping students and parents decorate dorm rooms.  DU and I worked together to decorate a room in one of the freshman dorms at the University of Denver.

In record time (just one week), the room went from "oh my goodness" to "WOW".  With Labor Day approaching, the school actually needed every available room, so we decided to open the "IDEA ROOM" for the two weeks before move-in, get photos to post on the University's housing website, show off some of the great storage ideas to the RAs and move everything out in time for the new students' arrival.  To help promote the service, I dropped off information and tape measures at local hotels that would be hosting parents and students and also set up a booth at the first day "First Year Orientation Trade Fair".  Now, let's see if this helps students down the road.  The cost is just $30 per hour and with my well-rounded shopping knowledge (who me?), I can direct them (or go with them) to some of the best shopping locations (and many of the best discounts) around.  One other great benefit...this will work in ANY DORM ROOM, ON ANY CAMPUS.

Can't believe, I'm going back to school with my Wilder Ideas!

Working around a safe in the closet, the Container Store's Elfa drawer unit was a great solution,
Crate&Barrel Marimekko fabrics were AMAZING to work with...and Ikea had just opened!

Again, we had to work around a safe in the closet and the InterMetro
shelving worked great.  Target, Big Lots and Ikea helped give us lots of storage.

Yes, this was one side of the original room...the transformation was
wonderful and I was ready to move in!

No comments:

Post a Comment